Ballymena could be on verge of major jobs boosts

The former Michelin factory in Ballymena is mentioned in the Council report.

THE Ballymena area could be on the verge of major jobs boosts.

A report tabled at a Council committee meeting in the town on Monday night said foreign direct investment enquiries ‘remain positive’.

The report said a number of opportunities are being progressed by the Council.

The report said an ‘Australian advanced manufacturing company’ is seeking to establish a Northern Ireland headquarters ‘which would being 160 new jobs and £15 million in salary contributions to the area within the first five years’.

It adds: ‘Council continues to provide support to the company as they move through the process of acquiring land and developing plans to construct a new manufacturing facility in Ballymena’.

Meanwhile, the report also makes mention of ‘further engagement with a potential investor in the hydrogen production sector seeking to establish a manufacturing facility in Ballymena creating 70-100 jobs’.

It said there had been visits to the Michelin site hosted by officers in August and September 2020 where a meeting was held with ‘Minister Dodds and senior management at Wrightbus’.

Another part of the report says: ‘Officers have been liaising with two additional companies on investment opportunities in the last two weeks; one company is a UK and Ireland based manufacturing and installation business seeking to develop a bespoke manufacturing base in Ballymena.

‘The second company is a Belfast based manufacturer and retailer seeking to move their HQ to Ballymena while expanding their footprint’.

Meanwhile, the report informed councillors of progress with the development of a dedicated ‘Invest in Mid and East Antrim’ website aimed at encouraging new investment into the borough.

The report adds: ‘Anticipated launch date is November/December 2020 to coincide with the formal announcement of the large scale FDI (foreign direct investment) project subject to Council approval noted above.

‘Promotion of our investment proposition through such an impactful good news story is an important part of our post Covid recovery plans and will show our borough is open for business and proactive in our efforts to secure investment,’ the report says.

 

 

Leave a reply

1 comment
  • We need to replace a lot of lost jobs in Ballymena. I hope they will not be minimum wage types. Any foreign investment should be required to stay for a reasonable period or pay a large penalty