Court in Ballymena hears woman with Stranraer address is charged with making hoax call that there was a ‘bomb’ in Armoy

Police and army bomb disposal experts pictured at Fairhill Street in Armoy in August last year.

A WOMAN is charged with making a hoax call to the PSNI that there was a ‘bomb’ at Fairhill Street in Armoy.

Christina Diane Saul (35), with an address in Stranraer, is charged in relation to August 31, 2019.

The case at Coleraine Magistrates Court, sitting in Ballymena on November 2, was marked as a ‘1st appearance’.

The full details of the charge are that the defendant ‘communicated certain information, which you knew or believed to be false, to another person, namely a PSNI call handler, with the intention of inducing in that call handler, or some other person, a false belief that a bomb or other thing liable to explode or ignite was present’ at an address at Fairhill Street.

According to the charge sheet, the defendant is also accused of making a threat to the PSNI on October 26, 2017, that a car and dwelling at Fairhill Street would be damaged.

When the case was called at court there was no appearance from the defendant nor a legal representative either in the building or online via a video link.

A police officer said he believed he could connect the defendant to the charges.

District Judge Peter King said: “These are serious and unusual charges”.

No further details were given to the court.

The case was adjourned to the end of November.

On August 31, 2019, police and an army bomb disposal team were called to Fairhill Street where residents were evacuated during a security alert.

At the time police said a suspicious object was declared a hoax.

On the date in question a PSNI press release said: ‘Detectives in Coleraine are appealing for information following a security alert in Armoy earlier today (Saturday 31st August).

‘At around 4:50am, police received a report of a suspicious device in the Fairhill Street area. A number of residents were evacuated as a public safety operation was carried out.

‘ATO were tasked to the scene. The object has been taken away for further examination. It has since been declared a hoax. Residents have since been allowed to return to their homes. No roads were closed during the operation.’

Leave a reply