Friday’s update: One covid-related death reported in Mid & East Antrim

ONE covid-related death has been reported in Mid & East Antrim in the latest figures released by the Department of Health.

It was one one of 11 deaths in Northern Ireland.

8 of the deaths happened in the last 24 hours and 3 before that but have only now been included in the latest statistics.

Three of  the deaths were in Belfast and two in Derry & Strabane.

The others were in Mid & East Antrim; Lisburn & Castlereagh; Armagh, Banbridge & Craigavon; Causeway Coast & Glens and Mid Ulster.

A district for one of the deaths was listed as ‘not known’.

Four of those who died were aged between 60 and 79 and seven were aged 80 and over.

The number of covid-related deaths across Northern Ireland since the pandemic began is now 836 according to the Department of Health.

According to Department of Health figures there have been 57 covid-linked deaths in Mid & East Antrim.

There were 29 new coronavirus cases in Mid & East Antrim in the last day.

That was down from 30 cases in the area the previous day.

The total number of cases in the Mid & East Antrim district since the start of the pandemic is now 2,219.

There were 607 new covid cases in the last 24 hours across Northern Ireland.

The number of covid cases across Northern Ireland since the pandemic started is 45,848.

A new publicity campaign by the Northern Ireland Executive.

 

Statistics now show a weekly breakdown of new cases by postcode areas – for example the BT42 and BT43 areas which take in the Ballymena district had 79 and 20 respectively in the last week.

A new publicity campaign by the Northern Ireland Executive.

 

The previous figures were 90 and 23

Meanwhile, The Executive today launches the next phase of its Coronavirus public information campaign in the run-up to Christmas.

It’s the latest phase of the multi-channel campaign, and shows how the virus can spread through close personal contact in unregulated settings.

First Minister Arlene Foster said: “We have been living with Coronavirus in our community since March and I know many people are getting tired and frustrated with the virus and the impact on their lives. That can lead to complacency and this new phase of our campaign is to remind everyone to remain vigilant against the threat of the virus.

“We all have a role to play in lowering the transmission of the virus across the community. That’s why we must all continue to keep following the public health advice, keep ourselves, our loved ones and our neighbours safe.”

Deputy First Minister Michelle O’Neill said: “There is no doubt that we are facing into a very tough winter but there is room to be hopeful and optimistic that we continue to move closer to the end of this pandemic. That’s why it’s so important that we don’t become complacent now.

“Coronavirus spreads through person to person contact and the advertisement campaign is there to remind us to limit our contact with others to suppress the spread of the virus. If every person follows all the advice then we have a much better chance of getting on top of this virus.”

Health Minister Robin Swann said: “This year has been extremely difficult for everyone. Coronavirus has left too many families bereaved and has caused untold damage to our health service and economy. But now is not the time to give up, we must continue to work together to beat this virus. We must all continue to follow the public health advice and limit our contact with others.

“We can assure you this will not last forever, we will emerge from this pandemic and we will all have brighter days with our family and friends again.”

Leave a reply