Householders warned to keep windows closed after fire leads to asbestos alert in Ballymena

This was the scene on Tuesday morning.

BALLYMENA was at the centre of an asbestos alert on Monday night due to a fire.

Householders were advised to keep their windows closed.

A PSNI spokesperson said on Monday night: “Police and NIFRS are currently at the scene of a derelict building on fire in the Queen Street area of Ballymena.

“Fire Service have the fire under control, however, there is asbestos in the premises and due to this Fire Service have asked us to advise local residents to keep their windows shut.”

Independent councillor Rodney Quigley said: “Police are now advising everyone in the area to keep doors and windows closed as there is a possibility that there is asbestos in the building.”

 

Leave a reply