THE International Sambo Federation President’s Cup tournament is coming back to Ballymena.
Over one hundred competitors from up to ten different countries will congregate at the Seven Towers Leisure Centre where the tournament will take place on Saturday 21 September.
The countries taking part in this year’s tournament are: Canada-USA; Russia; Netherlands; Great Britain; Republic of Ireland; Trinadad; & Tobago; Spain and Northern Ireland.
The Mayor of Mid and East Antrim Council, Councillor Maureen Morrow, says the international event is a first-class opportunity to promote the visitor attractions in the Council area and throughout Northern Ireland.
She said: “We are delighted to be welcoming the athletes, referees, support staff and Sambo officials to Mid and East Antrim as the Sambo tournament returns to Northern Ireland for second year.
“A lot of work has gone into organising this event. The organisers were very impressed by the reception they received last year and I am confident that their time here will be an enjoyable one.”
Commonwealth Sambo President, Michael Wayne-Parker said: “Last year was the first time we held the tournament in Northern Ireland and we were delighted with the reception we received.
“This year we have for the first time a team from the Republic of Ireland taking part and internationally Sambo continues to gain recognition.
“We are working hard to make Sambo an Olympic sport and hopefully, by the time we are ready to celebrate our centenary as a martial art, we will have gained full Olympic approval.”
The tournament will get underway at 10.30am on Saturday 21 September. Admission to the Seven Towers Leisure Centre is free. Everyone is welcome.