COUNCILLORS are due to be updated on Monday regarding what is happening with plans to open the Game of Thrones ‘Winterfell Castle’ set at Moneyglass to the public.
The discussions are listed to be held in a behind-closed-doors section of a meeting of Antrim & Newtownabbey Borough Council according to the agenda which has been published this week.
It was announced in 2018 that the set was due to be opened to visitors and tourists.
2019 had been mentioned but by 2020 it had still not happened and then came the lockdown.
At the moment members of the public have been stopping at a dangerous part of the Roguery Road to peer over a wall at the set.
One member of the public told ‘Ballymena Daily’: “I have noticed a number of people stopping on the road and there are fears that somebody could plough into the back of a vehicle because it is a fast stretch where vehicles come round a corner and down a hill.”
Some of the most epic moments of the world-wide smash-hit TV series were filmed in Moneyglass.
In 2018 it was revealed that as Game of Thrones finished filming after a decade in Northern Ireland, HBO was celebrating the show’s incredible legacy in the region by converting several filming locations into tourist attractions.
The then Mayor of Antrim and Newtownabbey, Councillor Paul Michael, said: “This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for the Borough of Antrim and Newtownabbey and we are thrilled to be working with HBO to bring this unique tourist experience to our area.
“We recognise the significant impact that Game of Thrones has had on Northern Ireland and in turn on our Borough and look forward to the legacy which will now be created’’.
“Tourism-led regeneration also features in the proposition and we were delighted that on 24 September, HBO announced their intentions to secure the legacy of Game of Thrones in Northern Ireland, by opening up four of the existing film sets as visitor experiences – including the Winterfell Castle in Moneyglass.
“I personally, and my fellow Councillors, are thrilled by this development which will bring a unique tourist attraction to the Borough, offering employment, supporting our accommodation and transport providers and increasing awareness of our other attractions. We are very much looking forward to working with HBO, in anticipation of the attraction opening in July 2019.”