A MAN charged with murdering Ballymena B&B owner Inayat Shah made “admissions at the scene,” a defence barrister told the town’s Magistrates Court.
Mr Shah (67), who ran the Traveller’s Rest for several years, and lived in the premises, was stabbed to death in March this year.
Michael Lenaghan (52) – with an address listed as that of the Traveller’s Rest – is charged with murder in relation to March 21 this year.
On the same date he is also charged with wounding another man with intent to do him actual bodily harm and making a threat to kill another man.
The case was mentioned at Ballymena Magistrates Court.
It has been adjourned to next week and a Preliminary Enquiry – the legal step to send the case to the Crown Court – is due in December.
At the time of Mr Shah’s death in March this year, PSNI Detective Chief Inspector Peter Montgomery said: “Shortly after 3.30pm this afternoon police received a report that a man had been stabbed in a property on Galgorm Road.
“Police responded but despite the efforts of emergency services the 67 year man was pronounced dead at the scene.
“A 36 year old man was also taken to hospital for treatment for injuries that are not believed to be life threatening.
“A 51 year old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder and attempted murder and remains in custody at this time.”
The next day, Detective Chief Inspector Montgomery confirmed the deceased was Mr Inayat Shah and added: “Mr Shah died from injuries sustained in an incident on the Galgorm Road at around 3.30pm yesterday afternoon. A 51 year old man arrested on suspicion of murder remains in police custody at this time. My investigation into this brutal murder is ongoing.”