Man previously caught by ‘paedophile hunters’ who is now charged with breaching Sexual Offences Prevention Order by living in Braid area without approval from Risk Manager has case further adjourned

Peter Clyde previously pictured outside Ballymena Magistrates Court when he was made the subject of a Sexual Offences Prevention Order. Picture: North East News.

A MAN previously put on Probation after being snared by a ‘paedophile hunter’ group when he thought he was talking to a 14-year-old boy on the gay dating website Grindr – now charged with breaching a Sexual Offences Prevention Order by living at an address in the Braid area without prior approval from his Designated Risk Manager – has had his case further adjourned.

Peter David Clyde (40), with an address listed on the charge sheet as Main Street in Newtownstewart, County Tyrone, is alleged to have breached his Sexual Offences Prevention Order on February 4 this year by living at Lisles Hill Road between Broughshane and Carnlough.

Peter Clyde pictured outside Ballymena Magistrates Court last year. Picture: North East News.

 

At Ballymena Magistrates Court, sitting in Antrim, on Thursday, a defence lawyer said he had not yet received papers relating to the case.

A judge said it was a “serious charge” and he would like to get the defendant’s attitude to the allegation as soon as possible.

The matter was adjourned to September 10.

In October 2019 Clyde, then with an address listed as Rocavan Meadow in Broughshane, was sentenced at Ballymena Magistrates Court after previously being convicted of ‘attempted sexual communication with a child’.

That charge related to January 18, 2018.

The specifics of that charge were that ‘being a person aged 18 years or over, for the purpose of obtaining sexual gratification intentionally attempted to communicate with a person under 16 years, the communication being sexual or intended to encourage the said person to make a communication that was sexual, and you did not reasonably believe that person was 16 years or over contrary to Article 3(1) of the Criminal Attempts and Conspiracy (Northern Ireland) 1983 and Article 22A of the Sexual Offences (Northern Ireland) Order 2008.’

In connection with the 2018 matter a prosecutor had told the court last year that police received information from a “paedophile hunter group” called ‘Predator Catchers NI’ who had used a ‘decoy’ posing as a 14-year-old boy on Grindr.

A defence barrister told the court last year the defendant had long-standing problems with depression and back problems.

The barrister said the defendant had made no attempt to meet the decoy.

During last year’s case a judge said it was a “very serious” matter and said although a decoy was involved Clyde had believed he was communicating with a 14-year-old boy.

At the 2019 court hearing the judge put Clyde on Probation for a year with conditions including participation in whatever was recommended by officials to reduce ‘any risk’ he may have presented.

At the October court Clyde was told he had to reside in approved accommodation and also had to inform Probation if he entered any personal relationship and he was to have no contact with children apart from unavoidable every day contact.

He had also been put on the Sex Offenders Register for five years.

At the 2019 court Clyde was also made the subject of a five year Sexual Offences Prevention Order which prohibited him from doing a number of things without the permission of his Designated Risk Manager including residing at accommodation; entering relationships involving access to children; having contact with children aged under 16; taking part in activities involving access to children and he was not to use computers, mobile phones or devices with internet access.

He was also prohibited from undertaking any activity in paid, private, voluntary or charitable capacity which afforded access to children or young persons, unless approved of his Designated Risk Manager.

Leave a reply