AS essential work progresses on the £2 million Flood Alleviation Scheme for the Toome Road/Wakehurst Road area of Ballymena, NI Water would like to take this opportunity to remind parents and young people about the dangers of playing near treatment works, reservoirs and construction sites.
This major project will bring many benefits to the area, including reducing the future risk of flooding, as well as increasing the capacity of the existing sewerage system.
The project involves the upgrade of existing sewers, as well as the installation of new sewers on Wakehurst Park, Wakehurst Road, Queen Street and Toome Road.
Construction of a large underground storage tank is also underway on land adjacent to the council playing fields at Wakehurst Road.
Richard Nevin, NI Water Project Manager, said: “Understandably, natural curiosity will draw children and young people towards some of our sites, particularly with construction well underway at the Wakehurst Road.
“However, these are not playgrounds and fooling around at or near them can have very serious consequences.
“I would urge all parents to explain to their children the dangers of playing in or around these areas. The remoteness of many of our sites could hamper and delay rescue attempts, should such a need arise.”
As we approach the mid-term break, this advice can be even more useful and NI Water has some simple steps on how to stay safe:
1. Don’t climb on barriers and fences – They are there to protect you from serious injury and accidents when NI Water construction work is going on.
2. Stay away from trenches and open manholes – They are dirty, deep and dangerous. They may also contain hazardous gases.
3. Be careful near roads – never run out from behind parked vans or lorries as you could be knocked down and injured.
4. Keep clear of equipment – You may see diggers, lorries, pipes and other equipment, but don’t be tempted – steer clear and don’t touch!
5. Obey ‘Danger’ signs – reservoirs and treatment works can be very dangerous places, so stay well away and always obey the warning signs.