Rally hears ‘four bidders’ now interested in taking over Wrightbus

Some of those who attended the rally. Picture - Sara Girvin, BBC

A RALLY at Ballymena Showgrounds on Wednesday afternoon by former Wrightbus workers heard there are now “four bidders” interested in taking over the firm.

George Brash from the Unite Union told around 300 former employees and family members the administrators told the union there were now four potential bidders – two from the European Union, one from the UK and potentially one from China.

There was also a message for the owner of the land on which the factory sits.

George Brash from the Unite Union told the rally: “Give up the land and give it back to the Ballymena people, so you can get back to work.”

It has been previously claimed that the sale of the land has been a sticking point in negotiations to take over Wrightbus.

Workers from Harland & Wolff showed solidarity.

Joe Passmore, a worker from Harland & Wolff, told Downtown Radio his message was: “Believe in yourself, believe in your skills, believe in the fact that you are the people who made Wrightbus big in the first place and you can do that again, just don’t loss faith”.

1,200 workers lost their jobs at Wrightbus last week.

Meanwhile, a two-mile march from Ballymena to the Wrightbus factory in Galgorm is planned for Friday.

Leave a reply