SEVEN YEAR BAN: Two days after being banned for five years police spotted man at wheel of vehicle which was later found abandoned after crashing at a caravan park

Carson's vehicle had crashed at Fairhead Caravan Park in Ballycastle. Picture: Google Maps

POLICE spotted a man at the wheel of a vehicle two days after he was banned from the roads for five years and when the car turned into side roads it was next seen abandoned after crashing at the entrance to a caravan park in Ballycastle.

Eoin Carson (30), of Boyd Court, Ballycastle, hit a pillar at Fairhead Caravan Park on October 7 this year.

He appeared at Coleraine Magistrates Court, sitting in Ballymena, on Monday via video link from prison where he had been on remand in connection with the case.

The defendant pleaded guilty to a number of charges including driving without due care and attention; driving whilst disqualified; no insurance and failing to stop, remain and report an accident.

A defence barrister said the vehicle was bought on October 6 with the intention of repairing it and selling it on but not to get behind the wheel.

However, the lawyer said, Carson made a “grossly foolhardy decision to drive the vehicle” and when spoken to by police he admitted offences.

District Judge Peter King said the defendant breached a suspended sentence and driving ban two days after being in court on October 5.

He said it was about as bad a breach as one could get.

Carson was jailed for five months; banned from the roads for seven years and fined £550.

Leave a reply