A SUSPICIOUS object which led to 50 homes being evacuated amid a security alert in the Raceview Drive area of Ballymoney on Friday has been described by police as an “elaborate hoax”.
Army ammunition technical officers examined the suspicious object and have declared it an elaborate hoax.
The nearby Joey Dunlop Leisure Centre was used by residents during the alert.
PSNI Chief Inspector Ian Magee said: “In order to ensure the safety of local residents, people from around 50 houses were evacuated earlier. They are now returning to their homes.
“Local people, including children trying to make their way home from school, have been greatly inconvenienced. And I’d like to thank all of those people for their patience and cooperation.
“I’m also appealing to anyone with information about this incident, to get in touch on 101, quoting reference number 365 of 13/09/19.
“Alternatively, information can be provided to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111, which is 100% anonymous and gives people the power to speak up and stop crime.”
North Antrim DUP MLA Mervyn Storey had earlier said: “Those responsible for the device have created disruption for residents in the area.
“Everyone will hope that the area can be made safe quickly and people allowed to return to their homes as soon as possible.
“It is vital that anyone with information assists the police with their inquiries. There can be no place for anyone who would use intimidation or violence.”