Ballymena man’s rant to police ‘was in response to person threatening to cut off his fiancee’s head’

Gary Mairs

A drunk Ballymena man who phoned police saying he would cause violence with a crossbow and knife claimed the call was in response to a man arriving at his house threatening to “cut the head off his fiancee”.

Gary Mairs (43), of Carndale Meadows, Ballymena, appeared at the town’s Magistrates Court for sentencing on charges of being disorderly at Carndale Meadows and making a phone call which was of a menacing character. He had previously pleaded guilty.

Also previously, a threat to kill charge was withdrawn.

A prosecutor said that at 9.48pm on April 8 this year police received a phone call on the 101 number from Mairs who was extremely aggressive and saying he was “about to go off on one”.

He said he was going to stab people, “wreck things” and said he would kill someone and that he had a knife and crossbow.

When police arrived at his address within minutes he was disorderly, shouting and swearing before saying: “That’s fine, I will go back to jail”.

He told police he had downed two bottles of wine.

A defence lawyer said the night before the incident Mairs had to attend hospital after being attacked by an individual and on April 8 the same man came back round and “threatened to cut the head off his fiancee”.

Due to a combination of “fear” and alcohol the defendant contacted police and the other man left before police arrived, the lawyer said.

The defence barrister said it would have been strange for Mairs to have called police in such a state if there had not been someone present but that prompted District Judge Nigel Broderick to say: “Unless he was delusional”.

The defence lawyer added: “One often finds that as you are approaching the doors of Maghaberry (prison) that you find God”.

He said a representative from a church was in court with Mairs and character references had been handed in to court.

Judge Broderick said Mairs had placed his liberty at risk as he was in breach of a suspended sentence.

The judge said the defendant appeared to have “turned a corner” as the references spoke positively about his efforts “to divert yourself from a life of crime”.

Mairs was ordered to do 200 hours of unpaid work.

Leave a reply