Disorderly Cullybackey woman ‘sat in flowerbed’ and refused to leave train station on day of Royal Black parade

A DRUNK disorderly woman who was refused entry to a train in Ballymoney on the evening of the Royal Black Parade in the town on August 31 this year then “sat down in a flower bed” and wouldn’t budge for police.

Helen McNeill (38), of Kilmakevit Road in Cullybackey, appeared at Coleraine Magistrates Court on Monday and admitted being disorderly and assaulting a Chief Inspector and a Sergeant.

She also pleaded guilty to resisting the police sergeant in the execution of her duty.

A prosecutor said that around 7pm on August 31 police received a report from staff at the station about a verbally abusive woman and when she was refused to allow to travel on a train she lunged forward but missed a staff member.

She said she “did not give a f*ck” about her behaviour.

The parade had finished and there were a large number of people at the station.

McNeill refused to leave for police and “sat down on a flowerbed” before she lashed out at two police officers and moved her head as if she was going to do a headbutt.

She was screaming and threw herself to the ground and after further police resources were called for she was placed in limb restraints.

She slipped her hand out of handcuffs.

Defence solicitor Stewart Ballentine said the incident happened at the end of what had been an other wise enjoyable day for the defendant.

He said McNeill, who is in receipt of universal credit, came to court with a totally clear record and the incident was “very much out of character”.

During the day, the lawyer claimed, a man had “plied” the defendant with whiskey and she believed her drink may have been “spiked”.

She could not remember what she had done and was “horrified” when told.

When she read the first two pages of statements regarding her behaviour she was “so disgusted” she couldn’t finish the documents.

District Judge Peter King said it was regrettable that the defendant came to court with a completely clear record and now had a conviction following the events of “Black Saturday”.

McNeill was fined £500.

Leave a reply