Man banned from entering part of town claimed he had been injured and was on way to hospital

A MAN who admitted breaching his bail by being in a part of Antrim town from which he was banned claims he had been injured and was on his way to hospital.

Gordon Johnston (33), with a bail address in the Ballymena area, was originally charged with offences including being disorderly at Portlee Walk in Antrim on August 7 this year.

As part of his bail conditions he was banned from the Parkhall estate in Antrim.

However, when he appeared at Coleraine Magistrates Court on December 30 he admitted breaching the bail when he was spotted in a vehicle.

A defence lawyer said the defendant was in Antrim as he had been injured and was en route to hospital.

A police officer told the court a family member of a person connected to the original charges Johnston faces saw the defendant in the same street as the original incident.

The original charges relating to August 7 include threatening to kill a male; criminal damage to a door glass panel; five assaults on police officers; disorderly behaviour; criminal damage to a police cap and assault on a female.

At Coleraine Court Deputy District Judge Brian Archer re-admitted the defendant to bail and told the defendant if he required any further medical treatment then he should contact police and advice them of his movements.

The case has been adjourned to Antrim Magistrates Court on February 4.

Leave a reply