A MAN charged in relation to an incident in which police saw a woman ‘covered in blood’ running towards them on a street in Ballymena following an alleged knife incident has had his latest bail bid turned down.
Ioan Gabor (43), with an address listed as Warden Street in Ballymena, is charged with causing grievous bodily harm with intent to his wife on October 29 this year.
He is also accused of being disorderly in a public place – Warden Street – and assaulting a female police officer.
The defendant appeared via video link from prison at Ballymena Magistrates Court on Thursday.
A previous court heard Gabor’s wife alleged he used a knife against her but the defendant denied the charges and was alleging that gashes measuring up to 8cms long on his wife’s arm were not caused by him.
The defendant had the assistance of a Romanian interpreter at court.
A prosecutor told a previous bail hearing Gabor had no record but there had been a domestic violence log.
A detective constable had opposed bail at the previous court saying police were on duty at Warden Street in Ballymena on October 29 when they observed a woman who appeared to be in distress running towards them along with a young female.
One of the females was “covered in blood” and a male was following them with blood on him.
Gabor’s wife had cuts to her arms and her 14-year-old daughter was also present.
The prosecutor said initially the woman, who spoke little or no English, was unable to give an account to police.
The police officer said Gabor was arrested and began shouting in the street and being verbally abusive to police and he kicked out at an officer.
The detective constable told the previous court both the woman and daughter were taken to Antrim Area Hospital for treatment and when police spoke to the alleged injured party she said Gabor had had a knife in his hand and he had stabbed her.
As well as cuts measuring 7cms and 8cms long the woman had muscle and tendon damage.
She also had an injury to her thumb and upper arm.
The officer said the daughter did not have to be admitted to the hospital.
The previous court heard the defendant denied the allegations and told police he had not caused the injuries.
The officer objected to bail saying the complainant was a “high risk victim” and there was a fear that if released Gabor would commit further offences.
The detective said the defendant was not supposed to have been residing at Warden Street.
District Judge Nigel Broderick told the earlier court a Domestic Violence Log showed there had been a “very similar” incident earlier last year in which reference was made to a knife and the officer said there had been a withdrawal statement in that case.
A defence barrister told the previous court Gabor wasn’t living at Warden Street and it was a “one-off visit” because of an issue regarding a family member.
He said the defendant had a clear record and there was one incident on a Domestic Violence Log. In relation to that case Gabor had been held in custody before being released when that case did not proceed, the barrister said.
Judge Broderick had said the previous incident and the apparent presence of the defendant at the Warden Street address in October concerned him.
He said he was satisfied there was sufficient evidence to connect the defendant to the charges “given the oral complaint made by the complainant” and he was concerned about the mention of a knife in the previous case.
Refusing bail at the earlier court on October 31 the judge said there was a risk of further offending and a risk of interference with the complainant or witnesses and there did not appear to be a suitable bail address.
Gabor had been remanded in custody in October.
At Thursday’s Court, defence barrister Neil Moore said there had been a statement of withdrawn from the complainant and a bail address was available in north Belfast with the defendant’s brother.
Also at Thursday’s Court a police officer opposed bail saying it had been a serious incident and there was a high risk of further offending.
The officer said police were still proceeding with the case based on other evidence.
Mr Moore said there was police bodycam footage of the “immediate aftermath” of the allegation.
He said the Belfast bail address would be suitable as the defendant had “no reason” to be in Ballymena.
The lawyer added it was an “unusual” case as the complainant was present in court to “support” her husband.
Judge Broderick said it was now the third application for bail and the latest application was mounted on the basis of a change of circumstances as the complainant had made a withdrawal statement however he said there is other evidence against the defendant and the court was not satisfied the withdrawal statement was a significant change in circumstances.
He said there was still a concern about a risk of further offences and there was a risk of interference with the complainant or witnesses and bail was refused.
The police officer said the case file is at an “advanced stage”.
The case was adjourned to February 20.