Man got intoxicated on his 19th birthday and then made a threat to kill


A MAN who got intoxicated on his 19th birthday before making a threat to kill and a threat that he would go to a man’s house and burn a car out has been jailed for seven months.

Mark Burns, now 21, formerly with addresses at Union Street, Ballymoney, and Maple Drive in Coleraine, but latterly James Street in Coleraine, appeared via video link from prison at Coleraine Magistrates Court for sentencing.

He previously admitted four – making a threat to kill; threatening to damage a car; improper use of a public electronic communications network and possession of cannabis relating to November 2017.

A previous court heard a man received four phone calls of a threatening nature including a threat to kill a member of the man’s family and a threat to burn a car.

The calls were recorded and passed on to police and when they spoke to Burns they found cannabis.

A defence solicitor told an earlier hearing the defendant had been owed money and after getting intoxicated on his birthday made threatening calls.

This week’s Court heard that when interviewed Burns told police he had “no intention” of carrying the threats out.

The court heard Burns then came to police attention in Coleraine in January last year and cannabis was seized.

When his phone was examined it indicated he was concerned in the supply of drugs.

He was sentenced for possessing cannabis and being concerned in the supply of Ecstasy and cannabis as well as offering to supply cocaine.

The court was also told of details of an incident in which the defendant threatened to stab a member of his family with a bread knife.

Arising out of that incident, in October last year, the defendant, was sentenced on charges including making a threat to kill.

Defence barrister Francis Rafferty said: “He simply has to stop threatening to kill people, whether he means it or not”.

That prompted District Judge Peter King to say: “Wise words”.

Mr Rafferty said the defendant had “mental health issues” and clearly had problems with “anger” but had already served 13 weeks in custody.

Jailing Burns, Judge King said the defendant had to stop doing a “whole raft of things” if he didn’t wish to be back in court.

Leave a reply