A MAN found with a stun gun in his home claimed he had bought it ten years previously at Nutt’s Corner.
Adrian Richmond (51), of Barra Drive, Ballymena, pleaded guilty to possessing the ‘prohibited weapon’.
The offence was detected in July 2018.
The court heard there had been an incident at a bonfire in the Ballykeel area when Richmond was arrested and a search was then carried out at his home.
A defence barrister said nothing came of the original matter.
He said the defendant had provided a code of his safe to police and the uncharged stun gun was inside along with “rare coins”.
The lawyer said the device had been bought at Nutt’s Corner ten years before as “some sort of a keep sake” and there was no suggestion it had ever been used in any criminality.
At Ballymena Magistrates Court on January 9, District Judge Nigel Broderick said: “It is always concerning when people have these weapons at home”.
The judge said the item may not have been immediately ready for use but the defendant still should not have had it.
The defendant was given a three months jail term, suspended for a year.