Motorist ‘aghast’ at being told he was a disqualified driver

Ballymena Magistrates Court

A motorist was “aghast” at being told by police he was a disqualified driver.

Jeremy Henry (47), of Old Galgorm Road, Ballymena, came to the attention of the PSNI at the town’s Larne Road Link on April 10 this year.

He had previously been banned from driving for six months at the town’s court in January.

He appeared at Ballymena Magistrates Court on July 25 for sentencing after pleading guilty to charges of driving whilst disqualified; being uninsured and not having an MOT for a Vauxhall Corsa in relation to April 10.

A prosecutor said the defendant said he was unaware he had been banned as he had not attended court in January.

Defence barrister Stephen Law it was a “terrible situation” and the defendant, who worked for an engineering firm, was “aghast” at learning he was on the road whilst disqualified.

The lawyer said the defendant had moved home and had not learned of what happened in January but wished to apologise unreservedly.

District Judge Nigel Broderick said he was satisfied the defendant knew about the January court case but had not made any enquiries as to what had happened.

The defendant was ordered to do 40 hours of unpaid work; was banned from driving for three months and fined £100.

Leave a reply