Ballymena bus and rail station attack: Youth (16) released on bail after breaching night time curfew

FacebookTwitterEmailWhatsAppA 16-year-old who previously pleaded guilty to assaulting a boy at Ballymena Bus & Rail Centre and having blades from a Stanley knife in a public place has been back in court for breaching his bail curfew. The youth, who can’t be named because of his age, appeared at Ballymena Magistrates Court on Thursday via […]

Ballymena Bus and Rail Centre
Ballymena Bus and Rail Centre

A 16-year-old who previously pleaded guilty to assaulting a boy at Ballymena Bus & Rail Centre and having blades from a Stanley knife in a public place has been back in court for breaching his bail curfew.

The youth, who can’t be named because of his age, appeared at Ballymena Magistrates Court on Thursday via video link from Woodlands Juvenile Justice Centre.

It emerged he was not at his home in Ballymena for two nights.

His mother told the court the boy was at his cousin’s home and his phone battery had died and he didn’t have a charger.

She said the boy originally realised he was going to be 35 minutes late for his curfew and then got scared and she had told him to “hand himself in”.

Defence solicitor John McAtamney said the original offence occurred in April this year and the youth, who had a previously clear record, had recently pleaded guilty to offences.

He said the night time curfew was not relevant as the original offence happened at 3.30pm.

District Judge Nigel Broderick said he hoped the brief stay in custody would be a “salutary lesson” to the boy.

He released him on £50 bail along with a surety of £250 from his mother.

The bail conditions are that he must live with his parents; be curfewed between midnight and 7am; have no contact with the injured party; no contact with a co-accused and he is not to be at Ballymena Bus & Rail Centre unless accompanied by an adult.

The judge told the youth he had his mother to thank for coming to court otherwise he would have spent Christmas in custody.

The case was adjourned to January.

At Ballymena Youth Court recently a second boy, aged 15 who again cannot be named because of his age, pleaded guilty to assaulting a schoolboy who was believed to have been 13.

A third youth – aged 17 – was charged with attempted grievous bodily harm with intent against the boy and possessing a hammer as an offensive weapon.

In April police said a boy needed hospital treatment after suffering facial injuries after allegedly being struck with a hammer.

At the time a local councillor alleged other schoolchildren filmed the incident on mobile phones.

Leave a reply