A banned driver who police saw using a mobile phone whilst behind the wheel claimed he was in a panic to get to his employment in case he would lose his job and that in fact it was his workplace calling him asking him where he was.
Anton Ostrovski (29), a factory worker of Cambridge Avenue, Ballymena, was detected at the junction of Cambridge Avenue and the Galgorm Road on March 28 this year.
Defence solicitor Stewart Ballentine told Ballymena Magistrates Court on Thursday May 31 that the defendant had no other means of getting to work and had panicked as he didn’t want to lose his job and when the phone went it was his workplace enquiring of his whereabouts.
He has now disposed of the vehicle, said the solicitor.
Ostrovski had been banned for a year at Ballymena Court in January this year for crashing a car at the town’s Larne Road Link when he was narrowly over the drink drive limit.
For the offences before Thursday’s court – driving whilst disqualified, no insurance and using a hand-held mobile phone whilst driving – he was ordered to do 100 hours Community Service; was banned for a year and fined £100.