Dog ‘leaps from upstairs window’ of flat following ‘aerosol explosion’

explosion ballymoney 1
Emergency services at the scene of an incident in the Cafe Lane area of Ballymoney. on Monday. PICTURE : MATT STEELE / MCAULEY MULTIMEDIA

A DOG which leapt from the upstairs window of a flat after an ‘aerosol exploded’ during a fire had to be taken to a vet’s for assessment.

Drama unfolded at Cafe Lane in the centre of Ballymoney on Monday.

Emergency services responded to an incident following a fire in a first floor flat which was at first thought to be a suspected gas leak.

It is understood that a cooker hob or portable heater caused an aerosol canister to explode inside an apartment situated in Cafe lane.

Cllr Darryl Wilson said: “I was alarmed when I was notified about the incident which took place today in Cafe Lane.

“It is my understanding that no one sustained any serious injuries after the aerosol exploded within someone’s home, and that a dog which was located in the apartment
had to be taken to a local vets for treatment.

“Had it not been for the rapid response of the emergency services we could
have had a major and life-threatening incident on our hands today.

“Can I take this opportunity to commend the first responders/emergency services on
their timely and professional response ”

An eye-witness said: “I heard a loud bang. Glass shattered into the courtyard, I then heard screaming and then I saw a dog leap from the upstairs window,” Causeway Coast Community reported.

A police spokesperson said ” Police received a report of a fire at a property in the Cafe Lane area of Ballymoney. At this time we are not treating it as suspicious”.

A spokesperson for Firmus said ” We attended the scene but the incident was
not gas related”

There were no reports of anyone being injured during the incident. The incident was dealt with by 2.15pm

A spokesman from the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service said they were called out to the incident at 11.55am and two appliances attended the scene.

“Firefighters were called to an incident involving a small fire in the kitchen of a flat,” said the spokesman.

“Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus extinguished the fire. There are no reports of any casualties.

“The cause of the fire has been determined as accidental,” the NewsLetter reported.

Leave a reply