‘Hit and run’ drink driver who crashed into three cars in Ballymena said it was ‘the biggest mistake’ he ever made

Ballymena Magistrates Court
Ballymena Magistrates Court

A man who had been drinking took his nephew’s car and collided with three parked vehicles in a ‘hit and run’ in the Mill Street Lower area of Ballymena.

Gabriel Mizu (29), of Clonavon Terrace, Ballymena, admitted nine offences including aggravated vehicle taking and driving with excess alcohol in breath arising out of the incident on April 8 this year.

A prosecutor told Ballymena Magistrates Court on Thursday May 31 that when interviewed the defendant admitted taking the vehicle and that he was “drunk”.

Defence solicitor Stewart Ballentine said his client, a Romanian, wished to apologise for what Mizu had described as “the biggest mistake he ever made in his life”.

The lawyer said the defendant failed to stop because he “panicked”.

District Judge Nigel Broderick imposed a three months jail term, suspended for a year, along with a two year driving ban.

He said it was a serious offence “given the high level of alcohol and the number of vehicles damaged”.

Leave a reply