‘Hungry’ man was caught drink driving after going to McDonald’s drive-thru at 2am

McDonald's restaurant Ballymena
McDonald’s restaurant Ballymena

A MAN who said he felt hungry and went to McDonald’s Restaurant in Ballymena around 2am after claiming that between 10.30pm and midnight he had drank two large glasses of wine at home was caught drink driving.

Christopher Joseph Allen (33), with an address at Old Antrim Road in Ballymena, had the offence detected on July 1 this year.

A prosecutor told Ballymena Magistrates Court on Thursday the defendant had been to the drive-thru.

He had an alcohol in breath reading of 86 with the legal limit being 35.

He told police he drank wine earlier and after feeling hungry had gone to McDonald’s.

Defence barrister Stephen Law said his client had a relevant previous entry on his record which placed him in a “terrible position”.

He said the defendant had a very good job as a project manager in Dun Laoghaire in the Republic and also has family commitments in the Ballymena area.

Mr Law said the “fall-out” from the incident had been “horrendous”.

He said the defendant had taken his company through a transition period and it now looks as if he is going to have to move to Dundalk to be close to the company headquarters and get the train to Ballymena in relation to his family.

Mr Law said the defendant apologised unreservedly and had accepted he had been the “author of his own misfortune”.

District Judge Nigel Broderick said the case was aggravated by the high reading and the previous offence.

Banning the defendant from the road for three years and fining him £500, the judge said he was reluctant to certify the defendant for the drink driving course – which if completed will cut his ban by a quarter – because he had already done the course almost ten years ago.

The judge warned Allen that if he was caught drink driving a third time he risked a custodial sentence.

Leave a reply