Man accused of attempting to rob a shop and service station is further remanded in custody

Coleraine Courthouse

A man accused of possession of a knife and attempting to rob the DV8 shop and a service station in the town has been further remanded in custody.

The charges being faced by Conor Tyrone Clarence (29), of Ballyclose Street, Limavady, relate to incidents in June this year.

In June this year during a failed bail application by Clarence, a court was told police received two reports of attempted robberies involving a knife in Limavady, the first being at ‘DV8’ around 2.30pm when a man wearing a mask and armed with a knife approached a staff member and said in a low voice: “Give me the money or I will stab you”.

The man was told there was no money in the till and replied: “I’m desperate, just give me the money,” before he fled empty-handed.

Five minutes later, around 350 metres away, a male with his face covered and carrying a knife entered Craigs Service Station and “mumbled” something.

A staff member allegedly immediately recognised Clarence because of his tattoos and his “swagger” as he was a regular in the shop.

The staff member said: “I know who you are, you live in the flat across the street” and the raider said he was “sorry” and left.

Police went to Clarence’s flat but he had allegedly changed his clothes and had left and when found at another address, the PSNI officer told the court, the defendant tried to run out but was caught.

The officer said the defendant resisted police and CS spray had to be used.

She said Clarence was believed to have been “under the influence of substances”.

Defence barrister Ben Thompson told the June court there was a new manager on her first day in the job and after being threatened she turned to her colleagues laughing “thinking it was a prank being played on her”.

The lawyer said Clarence had been “sent packing” from the service station.

District Judge Nigel Broderick had refused bail in the summer saying they were serious allegations “involving the use of a knife, mask and threats”.

The defendant has been on remand in custody at Maghaberry Prison and he appeared via video link at Coleraine Magistrates Court on Monday October 15.

A prosecutor said the application was for a further four weeks in the case.

She said forensic evidence in the case was due to arrive with them in the middle of October.

The case was adjourned to November and Clarence was further remanded in custody.

Leave a reply