Man accused of burglary spree in the Glens is refused bail

BallymenaMagistratesCourt3
Ballymena Courthouse

A man who is one of two men accused of a burglary spree in the Glens has been refused bail.
Michael Thomas Cullen (23), of Lagmore Dale, Dunmurry, near Belfast, and David Anthony Connors (29), of Old Forge, Dunmurry, each face several charges.
On May 25 at Coleraine Magistrates Court Connors was remanded in custody on the charges.
A bail application was due to take place that day for Cullen but he collapsed in the dock and was taken from the court in an ambulance.
On Thursday May 31, Cullen appeared at Ballymena Magistrates Court via video link from prison, for his bail application.
On Thursday, defence barrister Chris Sherrard said the defendant had “suffered a fainting episode” at the earlier court and Ballymena District Judge Nigel Broderick noted the bail application had not proceeded the previous Friday because Cullen had been taken to hospital.
Thursday’s court heard bail was opposed.
A police officer said a number of burglaries took place in the Cushendall area including dwellings which were occupied, one of which was a holiday home.
Incidents continued from the evening of May 23 into the early hours of May 24, said the officer.
There was a series of burglaries a Glenville Road, Layde Drive, Bellisk Drive, Middlepark Avenue and Coast Road in Cushendall when items taken included car keys, bottles of gin and vodka.
There was also a burglary at Bay Road, Carnlough.
The men were charged with burglaries and various driving offences including aggravated vehicle taking.
One of the charges faced by Connors was that he failed to return to Maghaberry Prison on May 20 after being released earlier that day on “compassionate bail”.
Connors had been remanded in custody to June 11.
At Ballymena Court on Thursday May 31 it was heard Cullen had been jailed in March 2013 for an attempted robbery when he had been given two years in custody and two years on licence which had been revoked.
The police officer said Cullen had been involved in “51 incidents” in prison.
Defence lawyer Mr Sherrard said his client had made denials regarding the alleged Glens incidents and the defendant had a proposed bail address with his father who runs a glazing business.
Mr Sherrard said the prison incidents had not resulted in any criminal convictions.
The lawyer said the defendant “suffers from multiple personality disorders” which can be managed when he takes medication.
The barrister accepted Cullen had a “rather extensive record”.
Judge Broderick refused bail saying the defendant had been jailed in relation to an attempted robbery and the licence had been revoked and he was eventually released in March this year and then the fresh allegations had emerged.
The judge said there was a high risk of re-offending and he believed the defendant would not abide by any bail conditions.
Cullen was remanded in custody and his case adjourned to Coleraine Magistrates Court on June 11.

Leave a reply