Man charged over a stabbing in Coleraine has case further adjourned

ColeraineCourt7 - Edited


A PROSECUTOR has told a court the full file in the case of a man who is accused of stabbing a man multiple times during an incident in Coleraine is not expected until at least November 20.

Ryan Millen (20), of Boyne Row in Upperlands near Maghera, is alleged to have caused grievous bodily harm with intent to a man, who is from the Ballymoney area, on Saturday October 6.

Millen appeared back at Coleraine Magistrates Court on Monday November 5 and the case was adjourned to early December.

At Coleraine Court last month a police officer objected to bail and said that at 2.25am on Saturday October 6 police received a call from Ambulance Service that a male had suffered “multiple stab wounds” to his abdomen and legs at a house in Coleraine and had been taken to hospital by ambulance.

That court heard witnesses saw Millen carrying a pink-handled kitchen knife before he left the scene.

First aid was given to the injured man before an ambulance arrived.

The police officer said Millen was later located at 6.25am on October 6 in the Riverside Retail Park area of Coleraine.

At the October 8 court the officer said the victim was in hospital after suffering “eleven” wounds which each required between three and eight stitches.

The officer said Millen claimed to police he had been assaulted by the injured man and another male and that as he had “feared for his life” he had acted in “self-defence”.

A defence lawyer said, at the October 8 court, that if released on bail any risk could be addressed by excluding Millen from Coleraine as he lived around twenty miles away.

The lawyer said the defendant had made his case during interview and “there are significant triable issues in this matter”.

Releasing Millen on bail on October 8, District Judge Peter King had said the bail address in Upperlands was far enough away from the north coast but he barred the defendant from entering Coleraine, except for court appearances, and Ballymoney.

Millen was also not to attempt to contact the injured man or witnesses and had to sign bail at Magherafelt Police Station three times a week.

He had a 10pm-6am curfew when he was to be electronically tagged and he was not to consume alcohol.

Millen had been released on his own bail of £500 and one surety of £500 on October 8.

Leave a reply