Man dies after being electrocuted while ‘fitting a light’

ian patterson killed
Ian Patterson.

A man has died after suffering an electrical shock in Articlave near Coleraine.

He has been named locally as Ian Patterson, aged in his mid-40s.

Local people said he may have been fitting a new light in a shed.

It is believed that locals tried to use a nearby defibrillator.

The air ambulance was called to the scene.

A police spokesperson said: “Police attended a report of a sudden death of a
man at the Rockmount Gardens area of Articlave this morning (Friday 18th
January).

“A post mortem is due to take place but at this stage the death is not
being treated as suspicious.

“The Health and Safety Executive have been made aware of the incident.”

A spokesperson for Northern Ireland Ambulance Service (NIAS) said: “We
received a 999 emergency call at 11.05am on Friday 18 January 2019. The
caller reported that a patient had collapsed following electrocution.

“The incident occurred in Articlave. One Accident & Emergency Ambulance was
dispatched to the scene immediately and the Air Ambulance Heli med 23 also
attended shortly after.”

MLA Maurice Bradley said: “This is a tragedy, I knew Ian well and I am
deeply shocked.

“Ian was a popular businessman who in recent years had supplied quality
trophies to the Coleraine and District League of which I am a member.

“I would extend my deepest sympathy to Ian’s immediate family and extended
family circle and also the tight-knit community of Articlave where he
resided.”

Leave a reply