Man who drove again despite being banned for life avoids jail

ColeraineCourt9 - Edited

A judge told a man who took to the road despite previously being banned from driving for “life”, that despite his “atrocious record” he was not going to jail him because of medical reasons.

District Judge Nigel Broderick was speaking to Robert Getty (58), of The Commons, Broughshane, at Ballymena Magistrates Court on Thursday August 16.

A previous court heard the defendant had twelve disqualified driving convictions and had been banned from the road “for life” eighteen years ago.

However, he was detected speeding at the wheel of a Land Rover Freelander “out of concern for his wife” in February this year.

He was caught doing 38mph in a 30mph zone at Ballymena Road, Cullybackey.

He was uninsured and was a disqualified driver.

Defence barrister Stephen Law previously said the defendant took to the road “out of concern for his wife”.

The lawyer had added: “He received a call from his wife that she was taken ill at a friend’s house and he decided to go and collect her”.

Getty was using his wife’s vehicle at the time of the offences.

At the August 16 court Getty was given a five months jail term, suspended for three years; a two year driving ban and a £100 fine.

Leave a reply