Men have cases sent to Antrim Crown Court following alleged incident at Clonavon Road in Ballymena last year

Antrim Courthouse
The cases have been sent to Antrim Crown Court

Two Ballymena men facing charges including assault occasioning actual bodily harm have had their cases sent to Antrim Crown Court.

They are Thomas McDowell (45), of Chichester Park East, and Samuel McDowell (42), of Moat Road.

Both are charged with entering a building on October 7 last year at a Clonavon Road, Ballymena, ‘with intent to inflict on any person therein grievous bodily harm and at the time of the said entry had with you a glass bottle’.

They are also charged with assaulting a female occasioning her actual bodily harm and assaulting a male.

The two men are further accused of ‘affray’ and damaging a door and furnishings.

At a previous court, a prosecution lawyer said some of the statements in the case had to be translated.

During a Preliminary Enquiry – the legal step to send a case to the higher court – at Ballymena Magistrates Court on Thursday a prosecutor submitted there was a case to answer and there were no contrary submissions from the defendants’ legal representatives Stephen Law and Stewart Ballentine.

District Judge Nigel Broderick released the defendants on £500 bail and returned the cases to Antrim Crown Court for arraignment in October.

Leave a reply