A MAYOR’s Reception for researchers who carried out vital research on missing names from Ballymena War Memorial took place today (Monday) at The Braid.
Last year Mid and East Antrim Borough Council agreed the addition of verified missing names of those killed on the monument in the Memorial Park, Ballymena.
In 2013 it was discovered that some of the local Fallen who died in The Great War were not honoured on the Memorial.
Research was commissioned by council by professional researchers Michael Nugent and Nigel Henderson, including names gathered by local historians John Hoy and Dessie Blackadder, which were contained on their Ballymena and the Great War website.
Together with a public consultation on behalf of Council by History Hub Ulster a further 172 names of the Fallen from Ballymena and District were verified for addition to the War Memorial over the summer months.
A rededication service and parade by Council in conjunction with the Royal British Legion took place on October 7.
Mayor of Mid and East Antrim, Councillor Lindsay Millar, said: “As a Council, we were committed to doing all we could to ensure those who made the ultimate sacrifice from Ballymena and across Mid and East Antrim are never forgotten.
“I am pleased that the rededication of Ballymena and District War Memorial took place in the lead up to The Armistice Centenary this weekend, which will be marked with dignity in remembrance of all who served during the First World War from our local area, as across the rest of the UK.”
The Mayor thanked the researchers for their diligence when they carried out research on the Fallen from the Ballymena area in the First World War.
She said their work had enhanced our understanding of the sacrifice of those who gave their lives.