Youth (17) accused of attempted murder in connection with late night double stabbingis further remanded in custody

Screenshot 2019-02-12 at 8.08.08 AM
A forensics officer at the scene of the double stabbing.

A 17-year-old boy charged in connection with a late night double stabbing in Coleraine has been further remanded in custody.

The youth – who cannot be named because of his age – is accused of attempting to murder two women, both aged 22, as they walked at Beresford Avenue around 11.30pm on Sunday January 13 this year.

He is also charged with two counts of possessing an offensive weapon – a knife – with intent to commit attempted murder on the same date.

The youth appeared at Coleraine Magistrates Court on Monday via video link from Woodlands Juvenile Justice Centre where he has been on remand since first appearing in court last month.

A defence solicitor said medical assessments regarding the defendant’s mental health are ongoing and could take up to six weeks.

He said no bail application was likely in the short term.

A prosecutor said CCTV has been collected and medicals have been requested.

She said five video identification procedures had been carried out and two more are due to be held.

She said April 22 was the target date for the receipt of forensics in the case.

At a court last month an police officer said the two victims had allegedly been approached by three males.

He said one of the males had stabbed the two women “for no apparent reason”.

The court heard how one of the victims had suffered a punctured lung with the other receiving four stab wounds.

In January, the officer said that both women were making a “reasonable recovery”.

No bail application had been made at the January hearing and a defence lawyer said his client denied the offences.

The case has been adjourned to March.

Leave a reply